Feathers are always very glamorous and they have been appearing in earrings for quite some time now.
I love feather jewelry because it allows you to make a big statement, add a touch of colour and feel glam all at the same time. Feathers have a history of being worn in hats, headdresses and then there is always the feather boa. But I want to tell you how to wear feathers in the day to day. Why? Because feathers allows you to make a statement without doing very much else to your wardrobe. They can be added to a dress or a t-shirt.
Here are a few tips when purchasing feather jewelry:
1. There is such a thing a too much: Unless it is for a gala event, don’t wear a fully plumed garment.
2. Be aware of how tribal feathers can look. I love tribal fashion and all things that make you feel like a powerful woman goddess. That being said, long feather earrings to your waist should be saved for very special ceremonial type occasions.
3. Cheap feathers will always look like they came from the dollar store. You know the ones i mean… they come in bright colours and often have black dots. Don’t buy them. Don’t wear them.
4. Be ethical in your feather consumption. Exotic birds are killed for feathers. Purchase feather jewelry from artists that use naturally fallen feathers, vintage feathers and rooster feathers.
5. Take good care of your feather jewelry. It is fragile, should not get wet, is hard to clean and can be easily lost. Feather earrings have a tendency to fly away without you even noticing.
6. Try something other than feather earrings. Feather earrings are a bit over done in fashion right now. Try something a bit different: necklaces, cuffs, belts.
This necklace presents a new take of the feather ornament. Green is one of those colours that a lot of women feel they cannot wear (I don’t agree by the way, there are a lot of greens out there…. and there is a green for every one of you.)
It softens the framing of the face. That means it is great combined with glasses, geometric haircuts, straight hair, up-dos and tailored clothing.
The necklace above is by Samsara Concept. We have them at the boutique in blue, emerald and black.
Leave a Reply